Brief is the official University of Minnesota staff and faculty weekly news digest, featuring human resource, employee benefit, administrative, legislative, budgetary, event, and other information. Publication is every Wednesday. The deadline for submissions is at noon on the Friday before the date of publication. Submit items by email to the Brief editor.
Brief relies on the content provider to be the expert in determining the "value" of the submission and its relevance to our primary audience of all faculty and staff; however, the editor retains the final decision on publication. Submissions should be regarded as "high-level" information. Because of this, Brief prefers having a single individual contributor designated per campus/college/department. Generally, this person is your communications professional. For the system campuses, those individuals are: Cassandra Morthera Navarrete (UMC); Kathleen McQuillan-Hofmann (UMD); and Molly Olson (UMR).
All submissions to Brief must adhere to the University's policy on accessibility of digital information. Digital accessibility is achieved when all people can equitably access content on the web or in applications. Learn more about how to make your content accessible.
Criteria for inclusion in Brief
- Submissions should be 70 words or less and include only relevant, factual information. Because Brief entries are succinct, events should offer a link.
- Brief will include no more than five entries per campus, with the exception of the Twin Cities campus, which, because of its size, will receive space for about 10 entries. All other TC entries may be held over for a later issue or placed in the UMTC Featured Events section at the editor's discretion.
- Entries will not be included more than once per quarter unless there is significant justification to do so from an administrative perspective. Entries will not appear in back-to-back issues.
- The Brief editor retains the right to edit content according to Brief style and at the editor’s discretion.
A word on content
- The news is “need-to-know” administrative news.
- The news should be of broad appeal to faculty and staff. More focused or discipline specific events should first seek out a targeted University publication.
- The news helps to make the U more accessible to, and create connections (build relationships) among faculty and staff.
- The news promotes healthy lives for faculty and staff.
- The news includes components of the University’s mission of outreach, research, teaching, and education.
A word on events
- Events that are sponsored by or directly involve faculty/staff and/or that appeal to faculty/staff are preferred.
- Events should take place on the respective campus. Events held off-campus are in most cases considered only after on-campus events have been included.
- Brief will in general not include multiple events from the same unit/college/department within the same issue in order to give equal opportunity for space, and to focus on high-priority events.
- Events should appear in Brief with some advance notice prior to the event.
Criteria for inclusion in the Awards and Recognition section of Brief
The Awards and Recognition section of Brief is for those announcements/awards heavily focused on the recognition of current faculty and staff and campuses/colleges. Individuals who are featured usually include faculty, dean designation or above, executive administration, or an administrative appointment that touches all colleges/departments in its function—for example, a director of equity and diversity. In general, the awards featured are of major significance.